Tuesday 30 June 2015

Miss England Semi Finals

 

I wanted to share with you, my experience of the 2014 semi-finals, and some of this year's finalist's thoughts and opinions on the competition.

 

In 2014 I placed runner up in my regional heat and qualified for the semi-finals of Miss England. I never thought I would get through at this stage, because there were around 80 semi-finalists last year, and I had to demonstrate my abilities in the sports round, eco wear and evening wear as well as take part in a closed door interview. It was swelteringly hot and I remember feeling like I was melting taking part in the boot camp running around like a mad woman. I actually did okay in the boot camp though which made me feel pretty pumped for the show on stage. I absolutely loved my eco wear for the semi-final as it was inspired by Southampton, where I was living at the time. I also really enjoyed the interview part as I made the judges laugh and they weren’t intimidating at all.

Despite having a really good day that was full of fun not nerves, I still didn’t expect to gain one of the eight judges choices spots to qualify for the national grand final of Miss England. In fact, I was sat down backstage behind a ton of other contestants so when they called my name it took an age to get through to the front! The calibre at the semi-final is always high, and it can intimidate other contestants. But this is a great opportunity and what I kept in my head, which I think helped me gain one of the coveted qualifying spots, was that you have more chance of getting through the semi-final than you do of winning the entire title. It is simple logic and maths really.

So if you are prepared to try and win the title of Miss England, then be prepared to work your socks off at the semi-final – it is the best preparation for the final in my opinion.

Some of my lovely friends, old and new, are competing in the semi-finals this year. I asked a handful of them about how they feeling in the lead up to the semi-final this Sunday:

“I am extremely nervous for the semi-finals, but just as excited at the same time. It has come around so fast and still have lots to do! I am just so excited and grateful to be taking part in such a great organisation surrounded by lots of amazingly supportive people. Besides meeting the girls and making new friendships, I am most looking forward the Eco round I think, and seeing everyone else's wonderful creations.” Nicola Ascroft, Miss Basingstoke

“In the run up to the semi-finals of Miss England I am feeling extremely nervous! I've never been up on the catwalk with that many beautiful girls so it’s going to be daunting! I'm most looking forward to meeting everyone. You have such a massive build up with pageants and all you really get to see is photos of the other lovely ladies so putting a face to a name is always super exciting! I'm also looking forward to seeing the girls’ Eco dresses! It’s my favourite part in every competition I've taken part in.” Charlotte Rudham, Charity Queen Winner

“I am feeling very excited about the semi-finals and cannot wait to meet all the semi-finalists, I am most looking forward to sharing to my journey so far as Miss Cheltenham and all the challenges, hard work, and fun I have had in my role; it is a once in a lifetime experience and I have used my title to the fullest, I am keen to inspire other women and semi-finalists to never be afraid to take on any challenge and never take their title for granted. I would absolutely love to get a place in the Grand Final and am so thankful for all the support I have had so far.” Sophie Smith, Miss Cheltenham

“I'm looking forward to experiencing my first pageant and following in my Mum's footsteps as well as making many of new friends and above all enjoying the day.” Rachel Monfort, Miss Middlesex

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the semis! But at the same time I'm more excited than ever! All I ever wanted after three years of entering pageants was to maybe one day hold a title and this year it finally came true and I genuinely can't believe how lucky I am to be in the semi-finals. So many girls would love to be in this position and I'm eternally grateful that the judges saw something in me that day that they felt was worthy of being able to represent my county.
 

I am most looking forward to meeting the other semi-finalists and hopefully make some lifelong friends which the Miss England competition has brought me in previous years. I'm going to absorb every aspect of the day and enjoy it while I can, and hopefully with any luck I will be there joining everyone on August the 14th." Giorgia Davies, Miss Northamptonshire

“I am feeling very nervous, but the girls that I've met so far that are going to the semis are gorgeous, kind hearted women! I feel lucky to be surrounded by these girls that are full of charisma, professionalism and passion, so the level of competition is high!

However I'm just looking forward to enjoying the experience and having fun. I’m most looking forward to the Eco round! I am very passionate about the effect that fast fashion has on the world; therefore it will be great to see all of the girls on stage raising awareness of this issue and producing something old out of something new. It will be magical.” Cheraleigh Van Zanten, Miss Norwich

“I'm a little nervous describing my Eco dress as I might take a while to explain what I used, where the materials were from etc. I'm most looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing some of the girls again from the previous round. Last year we all got on so well and it was such a fun day! I know this year will be the same, if not more fun now that I'm more confident than I was last year.” Krishna Solanki, Popularity Queen 2nd Runner Up

“I am really excited to be a part of the Miss England Semi-finals and to meet the girls taking part. I am most looking forward to the Eco round as doing pageants before I am forever wowed by the contestants’ efforts.” Charlotte White, Miss Rickmansworth

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire