Monday 6 July 2015

Olivia's Little Princess Donation



My weekend has been a super busy one with two days of Miss England activities. On Saturday I attended Olivia Ayling’s hair cut event in aid of the Little Princess Trust. Olivia, who is only 11, decided she wanted to grow and cut her lovely long blonde hair to have it made into wigs for children with cancer. The Little Princess Trust has given away more than 2,000 free wigs to children with cancer. Charity work is always so inspiring, but to see that spirit in a child is just awe-worthy.

My Mum and I visited the Tony School of Dancing in Lymington, Hampshire, where I helped the Mayor of New Milton cut Olivia’s hair – I was quite scared to do it but also really excited. Olivia’s hair was in such good condition is was really difficult to get the scissors to it!

The event had a number of stalls selling delicious cream teas, with face painting, glitter tattoos and candles for sales. We also participated in a golden bucket challenge and a raffle.

It was a great event and I really enjoyed myself. However, seeing Olivia’s family and finding out how much it means to them got me so emotional and when she came out with her hair all restyled and short (they took her off backstage to have it cut properly after the initial chop by myself as let’s be honest, I kind of hacked it a little!) that I actually did have a tear in my eye. Her wonderful Mum Laura, as well as Auntie and Grandmother are just amazing, giving and kind people who really want to make a difference in the world.

I am holding my own charity events this weekend and Olivia’s fundraiser gave me plenty of ideas for how I want mine to turn out. And yes it is about raising money and awareness but just as importantly I saw how Olivia’s good deed brought her already tight knit family even closer together and that is such a great achievement. Well done Olivia for teaching me about the type of person I want to be!

There is still time to donate here

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire