Wednesday 15 April 2015

Interview - Sally-Ann Fawcett, Author of Misdemeanours: Beauty Queen Scandals


The pageant industry is an intriguing one, and as a titleholder I wanted to speak with an expert on the pageant world. Sally-Ann Fawcett is the author of Misdemeanour's: Beauty Queen Scandals, and has been a judge at a number of prestigious competitions. I asked her all about pageants and importantly, got some great tips and advice for competitors ;)

How did you get involved in pageantry?

Having grown up in the 70s, in the heyday of pageants, I was obsessed with beauty queens, and it was a natural step for me to compete myself in the late 80s.  I took part in about 6 or 7 pageants in all, and finished third in both the Scarborough heat and York heat of the 1989 Miss United Kingdom contest.  For me, it was such a fun opportunity to see what really went on backstage in the contests I'd grown up with.  When I moved to London in 1995 I was lucky enough to meet Eric Morley at the Miss World offices, and it was a real honour to meet a man so very passionate about the pageant.  He really did love his "baby".

Why did you decide to write a book on pageantry?

Misdemeanour's is really the sum of all the stories that captured my imagination while I was growing up.  These stories actually made newspaper front pages and the News at Ten, so important were pageant back then.  I LOVED the bad girls and their stories, and I wanted to document them in one volume as a kind of social history, something that has never been done before on this subject.

What’s your favourite beauty pageant scandal?

I think the Helen Morgan scandal of 1974 is my favourite. When she resigned as Miss World due to the outcry over her being an unmarried mother, it was simply massive news all over the world.  As a little girl I was enthralled and at the same time felt really sorry for her plight.  Even people who aren't pageant fans have heard of Helen Morgan - she's an icon in the beauty queen world.  It's also fascinating to think that, 40 years on, unmarried mothers are welcome in so many pageants now.

Do you prefer the vintage glamour of bygone pageants, or are you a fan of the modern day competitions?


Vintage pageants are my speciality. Winners from the 60s and 70s were treated as the celebrities of that era.  In an age before reality shows and TV talent contests, beauty pageants were the big draw, and winning really could change a girl's life, especially as they had far less career opportunities than women these days.  However, I am loving being involved in modern pageants - it's fascinating to see how much of an industry it has become in this country, mirroring the pageant scene that the States created decades ago. I love how the contestants enter modern pageants for confidence, self-esteem and to raise money for their charities. Pageantry is far more empowering to women these days than in the 60s and 70s and it's fantastic to see how they have changed and evolved.

In some countries, such as the U.S. and the Philippines, pageantry is massive. In the U.K though, it doesn’t seem to be like that. Why do you think that is?

I think the main reason that pageants have such a low profile in the UK is down purely to the TV executives.  Both the BBC and ITV decided in the late 80s that they would broadcast no further pageants on their channels, and when these contests are no longer seen on television or in the newspapers, interest dies.  The 90s in particular was a true low point for pageants in the UK and it was only when the internet became so widespread that people could see that they still existed and were growing by the year.  But I believe there would still be a big TV audience for a properly-produced, slick, modern day pageant if any channel dared to take that risk.

Do you think the pageant industry will grow in the U.K.?

The pageant industry in the UK is growing annually - one only has to look online and see a new pageant popping up somewhere!  My only worry is that too many pageants may dilute the prestige of winning. It's really important to maintain a high standard of organisation, whether running a small local pageant or a big glitzy one.

What is it like judging a competition?


I was asked to judge Miss International UK 2014 by its director Holly Ikin.  She messaged me on Facebook and said she had seen my page and saw that I was a huge pageant fan, and would I like to judge?  I have a great deal to thank Holly for - she really did set me on this fantastic road of judging and being involved in so many pageants.  It was and is a fabulous experience to judge a pageant and to meet girls who actually made me cry during their interviews due to their determination and drive.  It's also a very tough job to choose a winner and I take my responsibility very seriously.  After Miss International UK, my book was published, and that led to my being invited to judge Miss Great Britain last year as well, another incredible experience.  To think that that little girl pretending to be Miss World in her bedroom is now judging the Miss Great Britain final next to Duncan Ballantyne - it's amazing!

Who are your favourite, or top three beauty queens?

Oooh how can I answer such a question??  All winners are different and very special and beautiful in their own unique way, but for me Vicki Harris, Miss UK 1975, embodied everything a beauty queen should be - regal, graceful, beautiful, she was and is a real class act.  Of the more recent winners, Amy Willerton set the standard for every modern contestant.  Not only is she incredibly beautiful and charming, but she gave Great Britain its best result in the Miss Universe pageant for 30 years, and therefore paved the way for her successors to realise what can be achieved with hard work and determination.

What qualities do you like to see in a beauty queen?

A beauty queen for me is a lady who is able to combine eloquence and grace with a fabulous stage presence.  It isn't about being flash or showy, it's about confidence and humility and a real will to win - a wonderful smile, a kind heart, a great line in conversation.

What top tips could you give me to take to the Miss England finals?

The Miss England contestants - like most pageant girls - have so little time to make an impression on the judges.  So before your interview, decide what you want to talk about, what you want to tell the judges.  When you are asked your first question, answer it, and then introduce the point you want to raise.  It not only shows initiative, but judges love contestants to lead a conversation with something really interesting.  Secondly, practice that walk.  I have an aversion to 'bouncy' walks, and to habits such as flicking your swimwear wrap around the place like a mad matador.  Be bold, be elegant, be smooth.  And on stage, make eye contact with each and every judge - it really does work to convey a warm personality.

Find out more about Sally-Ann’s book here:

Or buy it here

Thank you Sally-Ann for contributing to my blog and I hope to see you at the Miss England finals later on in the year! J xxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire