Friday 26 June 2015

Southampton City Upcycled Fashion Show

 

With Miss England a truly modern pageant that has developed to become a competition highly focused on charity and volunteer work. We have also been tested on our intelligence with a general knowledge quiz and every year take part in an armed services fitness bootcamp.


We also compete to make the best eco-friendly outfit in a Miss Eco fashion show. This outfit can be sourced from recycled materials, borrowed from a relative or bought from a charity shop.

So I was super excited to present Southampton City Council’s Upcycled Fashion Show as part of National Recycle Week to promote clothing reuse and recycling, so I could get some ideas for my Miss Eco outfit which I will wear at the Miss England finals in August.

Loretta, Southampton City Council’s Recycling Officer, organised a fantastic show with Gale who introduced me. The models were also so professional – and particularly the children who taught me a thing or two about catwalking!

There were 43 looks in total which was amazing to see that sheer amount of recycled items in one hour. One collection that really stood out was by Mille Butler-Hiorns, A Masters student from the Winchester School of Art, Millie created three outfits from repurposing old denim clothing in her wardrobe.

Tamara from Rosewood Free School finished the show in a lovely blue floral skirt and flower appliqué top. She was an absolute inspiration and afterwards we had a picture and I arranged to visit her school, which provides education and care for children with profound and multiple learning difficulties. I also promised her I would get her a crown so I will get hunting for a spare soon!

Thank you to David Freeman for the photos and being supportive as usual. Best sponsor ever! Also thanks to my Step mum and Dad for coming along and watching me present.  Since I was a kid I have wanted to be a T.V. anchor so as soon as a get a mike in my hand I am in my element!

Thank you to Loretta, Gale and all the volunteers for putting on a great show and for my flowers, and a massive well done to all the amazing models; Tamara, Karen, Sue, Fiona, Amber, Kesha, Jilly, Elsie, Saskia, Opkar, Francesca, Cara, Isaac, Ruby, Jason, Viv, Millie, Sophie, Shobna, Becky, Christyne, Lucy and Veronika.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire