Sunday 10 May 2015

Miss Hampshire Sleeps Rough for Charity


How many of us have walked past a homeless person at some point in our lives, and not, or have not been able to help them? It is a sight many of us see every day and yet it isn’t something that really sticks in your mind - until you have tried it yourself that is.

On Friday May 8th, I slept rough in the grounds of Winchester Cathedral for two of Winchester’s homelessness charities; Trinity Winchester and Winchester churches Nightshelter. I was influenced to take part in the campaign after seeing Miss England 2014 Carina Tyrrell raise awareness of homelessness last year.

I was joined by Miss Hampshire David Freeman Photography Award Winner Channon Kail, who was deemed the most photogenic contestant in the competition in March – who is also a Miss Sussex finalist.

Now, the night started off well with a food, games and music to lighten the food. There was a competition to see who had built the best shelter too. But, as the night begun, it dawned on me just how difficult this is for the homeless. I had the luxury of toilets when I wanted, cups of tea whenever and if it got really bad, I could sleep inside the Cathedral.

It rained. It was windy. Our shelter around me and Channon soon began to feel the effects of the weather and collapsed around us. My feet were sodden, my nose frozen. Yet we were not going to give up – we had good sleeping bags, blankets, and a relatively waterproof shelter. Most homeless people don’t have any of this.

I think I slept on and off for about two hours. By 6am I was awake having to warm myself up by clearing up the watery cardboard mess that was the remains of our shelter. It was on the train home getting funny looks (I had no makeup on, obviously had the clothes on I had slept in, with my muddy sleeping bag, groundsheet and rucksack) that I realised how stigmatised the situation is, and how easily we judge others.

One of the volunteers of Trinity Winchester told me he has seen former doctors, lawyers and pilots come to Trinity. Realistically, with austerity and the effects of the recession still hitting us, homelessness isn’t something many of us aren’t far off.
Homeless people aren’t so different from us, so let’s all do our bit.

The team I stayed with raised nearly £800 altogether and I’ll be continuing my work for the homelessness throughout my time as Miss Hampshire and beyond.

Nobody deserves to be sleeping on our streets, and we can all help by donating food, blankets and our time to these amazing charities.

Thank you :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire