Wednesday 17 June 2015

Miss Hampshire Knits in the Park


On Saturday I joined Elizabeth Caush, business support office at Portsmouth Library and author of ‘The Blanket Book’ at the Knitting in the Park event she had organised in Victoria Park, Portsmouth, Hampshire.

The gathering was to mark the international World Wide Knit in Public Day.

I was maybe a bit ambitious when I turned up a complete novice expecting to be able to knit a teddy bear straight away. However, it only took around 15 minutes for me to start to understand the basics, and once you get into a rhythm, it becomes second nature.

I learnt two types of knitting – garter stitch and the knit stitch. At the moment my bear looks more like a blanket for a worm-type creature, but I promised the ladies that attended that I will finish it and take a picture for them.

While I really enjoyed learning a new hobby, what I enjoyed more was meeting up with such an eclectic group of women. They had so many stories to share, and so many talents to show me – their knitting was so unbelievably good! They all taught me a few things and I am very grateful they helped me as their knitting items were a bit intimidating for a novice!

I’m going to be carrying on my new skill and will incorporate it somehow into my ecological fashion wear outfit I am making for the Miss England Eco Fashion Show in August.

Thanks to Elizabeth and the gang for having me!

x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire