Thursday 28 May 2015

Milford on Sea


I love travelling home to Hampshire, and every time I head there I discover something new.


Despite being brought up down the road from Milford on Sea, I hadn’t actually visited the beach huts and shingly beach before, so it was a real treat to pop down there and help out Highcliffe & Infinity Camera Club – my sponsors for the Miss Hampshire competition.

Keith Prior

It was a gorgeous evening for beachgoers, but such bright sunlight can make photography more difficult, so we had our reflectors out to protect me from the sun and all the horrible shadows and lines the light creates.

David Freeman

David Freeman was tutoring the group of photographers and his first challenge was to get some good shots of me around the beach huts whilst avoiding the problems lighting can cause. Each photographer had their own style and idea about what they wanted – and everyone had very different pictures by the end of it.

We also worked on how to take photographs while facing towards the sun and away from it. Using reflectors, the team of photographers could control the outcomes of their photos so much more and it really opens your eyes to imagine just how many people are behind the scenes with a zillion reflectors in these amazing magazine beach photoshoots we see!

It also makes you realise as a model how much hard work goes into creating an amazing image. If I moved an inch, the sun glare was suddenly on my hands and then they would be overexposed and orange in the pictures! I will be more mindful of assisting with lighting now!

I had a lovely time with the club and I am so grateful of how supportive they’ve been with my title and also with my charity work. If anyone is interested in photography in Hampshire and the surrounding area, I would definitely recommend joining Highcliffe & Infinity as they are a lovely bunch of people to work with and get to know, as well as a leading club in the Southern Counties Federation. The club offers so many opportunities to improve your photography skills with a number of competitions and programmes available.

Visit highcliffeandinfinity.org for more info.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire