Sunday 1 March 2015

Make A Difference


I have been competing in competitions since I was nineteen on and off and one thing I have noticed is over the years how much more people understand know about what Miss England really entails – how for example, we are much more than pretty faces.

For me, my purpose as a journalist is to inform people and tell stories, and get to know the world. As an existing campaigner for Amnesty International, a campaign that promotes equality and fairness is always going to be of interest, which is probably why the Movement Against Xenophobia caught my eye.

It is a network of organisations, groups and individuals working to oppose anti-immigration agenda in the UK. The recent tone coming from many media outlets and politicians is contributing to a climate of hostility and fear.

I completely understand people have different views on immigration policy, and I am not here to judge or debate different viewpoints.

However, nobody should live in fear of being ostracised or hurt because of simply where they were born. I am immensely proud to live in a democratic society, which is why I wanted to get involved.

Movement Against Xenophobia is looking for migrants to take part in a poster campaign showcasing people representing different professions and industries who make a difference to the country. If you are interested in auditioning to be the 'face', please send a few details about yourself, what your strap line would be i.e. how would you summarise your contribution to society in a sentence, and a photograph to Max@jcwi.org.uk so you can enter the audition short list.

If you can help in spreading the word and sharing the crowd funder link the group would be very grateful. They want to allow the campaign to continue digitally and even become global. The next step is to create a website with functionality for all migrants to upload their image and contribution. You will find details here.

I’m looking forward to seeing the posters in the next few months.

Remember; always treat others how you want to be treated.

Sorry to be a bit preachy but equality for all humanity is something I really hope we achieve one day.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire