Monday 28 July 2014

The working world and beauty pageants


I found it weird. In fact, I didn’t even tell my current boss until it was splashed all over social media and a few local papers. Once I had qualified for Miss England this year however, I came into work to rapturous celebration and support – much to my relief.

But why did I find it so difficult to tell my employer about my naughty pageant secret? I guess I was worried about how they would react; I thought they might think me fickle, vain, brainless – yes, every pageant stereotype out there. However once it was out in the open (and they apparently knew anyway from a quick google search) I felt I could explain all about Miss England and my passion for the competition. My colleagues got so involved they held a charity bake sale for Beauty with a Purpose, tried my crown on, A LOT, texted in for the public vote and spent hours trawling social media to find out how I was doing.

For the future, I think it’s best to be just honest with work, after all it is part of who you are and really it’s no different to other hobbies. I have found myself popping my titles on my C.V. and LinkedIn now so that I am up front about who I am outside of work. Pageantry itself has allowed me to develop a number of life skills that have transcended into my working world. As a journalist, I need to be confident conducting interviews, so being asked a number of questions on stage has definitely improved my interview technique. Being thrust together with complete strangers has also allowed me to read people better and listen to other’s stories, which is always beneficial in improving workplace communication skills.

I’d say never be embarrassed or worried about what work might think; if they appreciate you for your work, then they should appreciate you for who you are, titleholder too.

One of my former bosses actually opened my job interview with: “Congratulations on winning Miss Dorset 2011! That is so cool!” Suffice to say, she was a lovely American lady, and a former beauty pageant competitor herself.  My background with Miss England, coupled with my talent for belly dancing pretty much cemented that job offer for me. Yes, I was obviously qualified for the job as well, but building that rapport was down to Miss England. Bosses want people on their team who they can get to know and importantly, get along with. If you can get along with 60 other beauty queens from across the country with little sleep, a lot of hairspray and a massive competition at stake, I’m sure they’ll embrace you into their company with open arms.

Be brave, be bold and be honest with who you are.

And who knows, your boss might turn into a potential sponsor and advocate of the competition itself!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire