Thursday 18 September 2014

Rule Changes Rule!


Some of you may have seen the Miss Hampshire post about the rule changes. From this year onwards, 25-year-olds can also enter Miss England, thanks to a Miss World ruling.

I think this is a great step, and will widen the competition to so many more impressive young women.
One of my biggest regrets is that I didn’t get involved sooner when I was young. I could have achieved a lot in my teenage years when I had a lot more spare time on my hands, with more friends I regularly saw because of college and university; who were willing to back me a lot. Plus my metabolism has changed in my twenties, so I definitely feel older during those boot camp tests we had to do this year!

However, while I am full support of 17-year-olds entering, and also pretty jealous of them having seven-eight years’ worth of time to try and qualify, and win, the title, I also really embrace the upper age limit extension.

Here is why. From a personal point of view, I am a much better, more rounded person now, aged 24, compared to what I used to be. It has taken me a lot longer than many of the amazing competitors I have met during my time being involved with Miss England, to really gain confidence in my own abilities and appearance.

I’ve struggled with intestinal disorders from when I was little so it has taken a while for my health to improve, and in that, my body and body confidence. You don’t feel, and look good on stage, when you are bloated and feeling sick.

But my health has improved so much over the past 18 months and it was great to get a final shot at going for Miss England this year.

I might have had more time on my hands a few years back, but nowadays I am rigorously organised. Commuting to London every day (hello 5am alarm and new job in the oil and gas industry! Yes very ‘typical’ for a beauty queen J) means that I have to be responsible with my time, and therefore I plan how I can attend events and raise money with a lot of effectiveness. It also means I care a lot about my appearances, because I know I don’t have that much time to spare – so when I dedicate it, I really mean it.

I have had my title of Miss Southampton for less than six months, and I have done more with it in that time than with my year-long title in 2011. It is because I am mature and grown up, and I think it is great that girls of my age, with life experience and at the beginning of their careers, often graduates and above, can still enter.

So please if you didn’t know you could enter; then do! Being involved has helped my career, making new friends, my family, my health – everything really! If you can stand on stage and explain to a massive audience how you made an outfit out of shells, a shower curtain, and a bathmat, then you’ll be able to conquer anything, at any age!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire