Thursday 21 May 2015

10 Essential Beauty Items


There are a few basics to my hair and makeup routine when I compete. Inspired by Miss Leicestershire Holly Desai’s recent column, here a few of my essential items and brands I love.

Water

It is so important to be hydrated – it will make you look and feel better. I gave up tea and coffee so I can monitor my energy levels better and it means I drink plenty of the clear stuff now; over 2 litres a day. I always get thirsty on shoots and on stage so I always have some bottles in my suitcase that I can refill throughout to keep me energised.

Moisturiser

Another hydrator, moisturiser is crucial to having a great base for your look. Using a good moisturiser will plump your skin and make it smooth and silky. I use Body Shop for my body moisturiser as it is deeply nourishing and Shea Beautifying Oil if I have drier areas or want a bit more of a shine, including my hair. I use Clinique Dramatically Different for my face as I have combination skin.

Primer

This is an item I skipped for years and years and it is only since my Dad gave me one for Christmas that I realised just how amazing this stuff is! I use Bare Minerals Prime Time and it leaves me with such a smooth base that my foundation glides on.  I am not an expert in the best types of primer, but all I will say is this is so important in creating a wonderful base – it hides pores, minimises imperfections and creates a lovely blurred, flawless effect.

Foundation

I don’t know how many threads I have seen on what foundation is best. I would recommend experimenting with a few as there are so many choices for different skin types. Plus I would also say use a different one for stage and every day wear. This is because most decent foundations have SPF in them which is great at protecting your skin, but on stage your face will be paler and with flash photography it can be a nightmare.  I use Estee Lauder Double Wear for stage and Clinique Even Better for day. I have also heard amazing reviews on Mac Studio Fix and Illamasqua from many competitors so these are my recommendations.

Mascara


I am utterly hopeless with false eyelashes – I have worn them once and nearly glued my eyes together. So I am not the biggest fan. I am considering getting semi-permanent extensions but time will tell. In the meantime I am adoring the new Benefit mascara called Roller Lash. I am a massive fan of their They’re Real! mascara so I thought I would venture into trying the latest product. I would suggest using Roller Lash for day as it is great for separating the lashes and giving a curly, feminine look, and for night the original They’re Real! still has the wow factor and really vamps the eyes up.

Tan

Another thing I can’t get. I am not the best with self-tanning and instead opt for spray tans if possible. If my beauticians isn’t free then I go for St Moriz Instant Self Tanning Mousse the night before and put two light layers on. It goes a nice warm colour, but when you start putting the mousse on it can have a green tinge but don’t panic! Wash off in the morning and if needed I top up with Rimmel London Instant Tan. If I can get in for a spray tan I choose St Tropez every time as it is the most natural colour and comes off evenly with the right exfoliation.

Cleansing Water

Garnier’s Micellar Cleansing Water is the stuff faces dream of. Before it, I honestly don’t know how I cleaned my face. This magical product scraps off every last bit of makeup and leaves my skin able to breathe and repair. It is so important to clear up skin when competing and to have non-make up days, and when you have this you won’t miss being made up as much.

Hairspray

I have a lot of hair. So I need a lot of product to keep it in check. I always have a decent can of hairspray, but to be honest the best I find is Boots Extreme Hold. Cheap and cheerful and super strong, I like to spray my hair straight after styling, and then pull it out of its ringlets a little to give some movement. Hairspray is the main smell you will sniff around pageant contestants backstage –that and biscuits from the fake tan. Plus pros use it on their shoes to make their walk easier and add grip.

Nail file

Never have a snag! There is something so irritating about a chip or a snap of the nail, and as you’ll be more nervous  you might be picking at your hands a little more than usual. Everyone should have one in their bag. I tend to get a Shellac manicure beforehand as I am a hand fiddler when nervous, but I always have a file just in case.

Vaseline

The holy grail of all things beauty, Vaseline can just about solve anything. In fact, if you were on a desert island, this has to be the one item you take with you. You can rub it on your teeth to stop your smile sticking, moisturise your lips and dry patches on your skin, use for a quick on the go mascara touch up and stick those nuisance pesky wandering brow hairs back into place. Basically this is a godsend.





P.S. One other thing – remember a mirror. Once you have seen how many girls attempt to fit around the provided mirrors, you’ll see what I meant. A nice No7 Boots Illuminated Mirror is a great extra to take with you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire