Tuesday 21 April 2015

Exclusive Director Interview - Paula Langley


“Enjoy every moment, make friends, challenge yourself.”

These wise words are from Miss & Mr Hampshire Director and Owner & Director of Abbeyfield Films Paula Langley who has been involved in the Miss England competition since 2003. Paula has helped me so much in my journey to Miss England and has helped me grow into a young woman, so I was dying to interview her.

Read on to find out what is it like from an organiser’s point of view, as well as some tips for contestants….

How did you first get involved in Miss England?

“Me and Gideon, my partner and Senior Partner at Bookers and Bolton Solicitors, first met Angie Beasley at a festival in 2002!  We became friends and she invited us to Miss England - the year Jackie Turner won was our first time at the final.  From there Gideon became a judge and I adjudicated for quite a few years.  Gideon was also the Miss England Solicitor.”

What is the best part of organising a regional heat?

“Working with such talented and interesting young women (and now men as we had our first ever Mr Hampshire this year).  I used to be a secondary school teacher and so I think there is a part of me that likes to see young people developing and growing as individuals and that is something that happens at all levels of the competition.”

 And what is the hardest/ worst part?

“Making sure you can cover costs and finding sponsors.  On rare occasions it is hard when a contestant or their family aren't happy about a result and question your integrity but that is not often.”

Tell us about Abbeyfield Films and the business’s involvement in Miss England.

“It started when Angie kindly agreed to allow me to make a short documentary about the competition for the Documentary Film Making Course I was doing.  It is called Skin Deep and can be found on our You Tube Channel.  I had decided to change careers and loved making this film so much that I was delighted when I was invited to film the final of Miss England in 2013.  I loved it so much we went back for more last year!  It is a real challenge unlike any other.  You have to film so much and edit on location as the films are shown on the large screen on the final night.  One of my greatest achievements is filming all 60 finalists interviews in one morning last year!  A great challenge and great fun.  My favourite film was the Sportswoman award round last year - I love it!  And Kirsty Heslewood’s highlights film always makes me cry!” 

How good are you at spotting and predicting who will win the competition, both regionally and nationally?

“Some years are easier than others.  Hampshire has always been such a close heat that I have never been able to call the winner - just the top 3!  I did guess correctly for about 6 years in a row at Miss England but then the competition got so fierce that it was too close at the top to predict.  Last year I knew that Carina was a favourite but I had a very different Top 5 in my mind overall.  But then that is what is exciting - how do you define beauty when faced with such an array of beauty on the stage?”

What is your best piece of advice for contestants?

“Don’t enter just to win as you may end up being disappointed!  Only one contestant from the whole country can be crowned each year and so you have to be determined to learn from the experience and enter again.  Enjoy every moment, make friends, challenge yourself.  As Charlotte Giles so eloquently said as she handed over her crown this year, her journey made her the best version of herself - that is what it is about!”

And your best piece of advice for organisers?

“Again, enjoy it!  Be prepared and organised.  Make sure you give the contestants as much advice as you can to help them prepare.  Be nice to sponsors and they will come back and support you again!  Make people feel special.  Speak to other organisers and ask for advice. “

Thank you Paula! I hope to make you proud at the nationals! :) xxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Miss Hampshire